How To Make A Bed Like A Hotel
Before learning how to make a bed like a hotel, find out what mattresses they use. Since the core comfort comes from the mattress, a hotel uses quality and luxurious mattresses like innerspring and hybrids to achieve their comfort level.
The innerspring mattresses were mainly used because of their durability. However, with new inventions, hybrid mattresses have gained popularity.
As the name suggests, a hybrid mattress is the combination of the two types of mattresses, memory foam and innerspring, to be specific. It provides stability and durability of an innerspring coil and the comfort of a memory foam mattress.
With that being said, here’s how to make a bed like a hotel.
How to Make a Bed Like Hotel in 11 Steps
If a person wants their bed to look like a hotel bed setup, follow the 11 steps procedure of bed making in hotels.
- Step 1: Strip off every layer of the bedding, and start with a blank slate.
- Step 2: Gather all the clean pillows, pillowcases, shams, a fitted sheet, flat sheet, blanket, and a duvet/comforter.
- Step 3: Ensure the mattress is free from stains, dirt, dust, and debris. Use a vacuum with an upholstery attachment for cleaning the mattress.
- Step 4: Start with a crisp and clean fitted sheet. Place the sheet around the mattress and pull it taught in each corner. Remember to tuck the elastic portion of each corner under the mattress.
- Step 5: Lay the first flat sheet on top of the fitted sheet. Make sure it drapes evenly over each side of the bed, with decorative trim or the sheet pattern at the top, and fold it facing downwards.
- Step 6: Next, lay down a thin blanket or a quilt. Lay it down over the top sheet, and make it evenly drape on each side. Unfold the top sheet over the quilt to show the decorative part or pattern.
- Step 7: Now, time to fold the corners. Take one corner of the sheet, pull the layers tightly towards yourself, wrap it across the mattress like gift wrap and tuck it under the bed.
- Step 8: Repeat the folding and tucking with the other corners.
- Step 9: Now lay the duvet or a comforter. Sprinkle a little water if it is wrinkled, then smoothen it with your hands.
- Step 10: Fold the duvet/comforter in half, along with the quilt/blanket layer.
- Step 11: Place the pillows in the correct pillow cases, fluff them appropriately and arrange them to your preferences. The simple order is to place the sleeping pillows up against the headboard, then pillow shams against the sleeping pillows and finally, two accent pillows or throw pillows at the front.
Besides the above steps, when a person wants to make a bed like a hotel, certain factors go beyond things like how to tuck sheets like hotel staff/manager or how to fold sheets like a hotel. Factors like quality, colour choices, and presentation, some of which are briefly explained below.
Choose the Right Mattress
Before learning how to layer bed like a hotel, a person needs a quality mattress to match the comfort of the hotel. However, hotels use specific brand mattresses that might not even be available in the market. But that is not what a person should be looking for either.
Besides the mattresses used in hotel rooms and suites, there are many types of mattresses, like memory foam mattresses, gel mattresses, latex mattresses, innerspring mattresses, hybrid mattresses, and poly foam mattresses that are available in the market. Each one is suitable for different body types and a person’s condition.
Among the aforementioned mattresses, latex mattresses are the most popular. However, considering the fact, a person should choose a mattress according to their comfort, rather than what’s luxurious or popular.
Cover Mattress with Protector
Mattresses are a huge investment and require all the protection a person can offer. Therefore, here are six benefits of investing in a mattress protector.
- A high-quality mattress protector keeps the mattress clean while keeping the comfort.
- It prevents the accumulation of allergens like bed bugs and dust mites.
- Prevents the mattress from staining from an accidental spill.
- A mattress protector prevents unpleasant odours from wet bedding.
- Increases the lifespan of the mattress.
- It can be used all year round.
Get Good Quality Sheets
The hotel’s bed sheets are super soft and smooth, and the trick to finding an equal quality bed sheet is to find sheets with good thread count. In addition to the thread count, material type also plays an important role.
For example, a material with 300-thread-count/per square inch, bed sheets made with Egyptian cotton provide silkiness, making them the best bed sheet like hotel. And besides the material type and thread count, knowing the bed sheet sizes is equally essential.
Because a bed sheet that is too big can bunch up or hang off too much on the sides, and a small one may not even fit the mattress, inconveniencing the sleep. Therefore, get a bed sheet that fits like a glove or is close to mattress size on the larger side.
Put on Duvet and Comforter
A layer of duvet or the comforter adds warmth, cosiness, and a feeling of protection to the whole setting. However, what are duvets and comforters?
What Is a Duvet
A duvet is a type of blanket that comprises quilted shells filled with natural or synthetic fluffs. The duvets have a less “finished” look, therefore required to be covered with duvet covers which keep the duvet clean.
What Is a Comforter
A comforter is also a thick fluffy blanket filled and stitched in with a down or down alternative. It is just one piece of betting and is usually larger than duvets, hanging over the mattress’ edge.
Naturally, since it’s about recreating the hotel beddings and mimicking their comfort, it is a common curiosity to know what comforters do hotels use. Typically, hotels will opt for a 10.5 tog duvet. However, cotton-polyester blend comforters are also common.
Layer With Right Pillows and Shams
While there are several types of pillows —all from down, cotton, memory foam, and many more, there are ultimately two categories: sleeping pillows and special pillows. The sleeping pillows are further divided based on the sizes like standard, queen, king, body pillow, and euro pillows; there are special pillows also known as decorative or throw pillows.
Time to assemble the pillows. This could easily go wrong since this could either make or break the look. Before starting, a good rule of thumb is to have at least three sleeping pillows. This helps to choose the preferred softness for the head to lay on.
Start by placing the sleeping pillows with cuffs pointed out toward the edges of the bed, then place the sham-covered pillows directly on top of them. And if there are more pillows of different sizes, like square and small lumbar pillows, then place them before the shams.
First, place the 2 square decorative pillows up against the shams. Then finish off by placing a smaller lumbar pillow in the middle of the two square pillows.
How to Make Bed More Comfortable /Luxurious
Besides the above factors, four tips can help the bedding look more luxurious and comfortable.
Use Accent Pillows
Before starting, do not be confused between the accent and throw pillows. A throw pillow is 18×18, whereas an accent pillow’s dimensions are from 18×18 to 22×22.
Accent pillows are often used to attract attention to the colours of walls, rugs, and drapes. They are made to pop up the colours from the overall room’s decor and complement the interior. These pillows can be placed on the bed or a room chair.
Choose Colours Scheme for Bedding
A hotel room is usually well coordinated with the beddings, even though they are almost uniformly white. However, why do hotels use white bedding? It is used to convey a sense of cleanliness to the guest.
Nevertheless, your room is not a hotel suite, and a person is free to use whatever colour. But what’s important is to coordinate the colour with the whole room.
Start with white or off-white sheets since they tend to go under the layers. This will give a clean look while making it a good backdrop for the rest of your bed.
For the components like accent pillows, shams, and throw blankets (which are optional), try to coordinate the colours along with the ones in the rest of the room. If not the perfect match, try using shades of a similar colour.
Keep Bedding Clean And Fresh
Cleaning is an integral factor when a person wants fresh and crisp sheets since layering and coordination of colours aren’t the only part of having a bed like a hotel. So, as the general rule, separate the colour and whites, along with the delicate pieces like comforter, pillows and sham covers.
Consider washing the sheets twice a week, and remember to check care tags for optimal instruction. Also, have the delicate pieces dry-cleaned often.
Regular cleaning will help keep the germs at bay that can multiply in sheets, pillowcases and duvet covers. In addition, it prevents a build-up of dust mites, their droppings and the dead skin they feed on.
Warm Up Your Lighting
A hotel generally uses warm temperature colours and soft and indirect lights. This makes the room feel more inviting and calmer compared to cooler lights that are stimulating and brighter. Above all, lighting in a hotel is important to make the room look cleaner.
Nevertheless, lighting is usually about the atmosphere a person would like to create in their sleep space. And here are a few lighting tips.
- A bedroom should generally have around 10-20 lumens per square foot, unlike a bathroom or kitchen, which needs a stronger lighting level.
- Four types of lighting make the bedroom look comfortable: Ambient lighting, task lighting, accent lighting, and decorative lighting.
- Ambient lighting improves the sense of warmth and depth of a room or space, adding a comfortable level of illumination without too much glare.
- Task lighting, such as lamps, is direct lighting that is specifically used for certain tasks, like reading, writing, sewing, or other intricate work.
- An accent or decorative lighting is used to highlight a specific object or area, such as a painting, bookshelf, headboard, or to highlight a wall.
To make your bed like a hotel, the trick is to capture the same feel and quality with the sheets and the mattress since a quality mattress provides a comfortable good night’s sleep.
And besides following the aforementioned steps and tips for re-creating a luxurious hotel bed at home, it is important to keep the bedroom clear of clutter. Furthermore, a fragranced pillow spray or a room mist adds an elegant touch to the environment.
Why do hotels use white bedding?
One of the main reasons hotels prefer white bedding is that it provides an appearance of cleanliness and elegance.
What comforter do hotels use?
Hotels primarily use comforters that are filled with down feathers as they are pretty soft in nature.
people like this articles
Medical reviewed by